Friday, November 14, 2008

Why are you waiting?

If you have a fitness goal to reach and you keep telling yourself, "I'll get started when...," chances are that you'll put it off indefinitely. Sure, you may be one of those few people that really LOVES exercise, portion control, radical changes and just can't wait for that "get started when" date. Most of us aren't like that though. You are more likely to accomplish your goals if you get started not then but now!
So, get up (not now, finish reading this first) and go to the pantry. Look for all of the crap that's in there and get rid of it. If it's unopened, leave it that way and get it to your local food bank. Many schools and churches accept donations throughout the month! If it's opened, throw it out! Next, go to the fridge and freezer. See that ice cream that you have on the door of the fridge? Don't finish it off...throw it out. You may think that I'm out of my mind, but you're out of your mind thinking that you're going to reach your fitness and health goals keeping that garbage siting around to tempt you. Are the kids still tempting you with a bunch of left-over Halloween goodies? Well, tell them that they can have just a few pieces of what is left today and tomorrow, but after that, it's gotta go! You may even be able to donate it to their classroom (many teachers give pieces of candy as rewards-so this may save them a few bucks) You'll be surprised how many teachers are thankful for your donation.
Ok, here's the hard part, tell your children and/or your spouse that there will be no fast food this month! NONE! Not even if you're running late from work! That means you have to PLAN! All of the planning happens in the kitchen and in the grocery store. You don't need me to tell you to buy more vegetables, especially the leafy green kind. I'm sure that you know that you should not be drinking soda and other chemically-made drinks and foods! Stock up on almonds, fresh fruit, oats, eggs, lean meats, beans, brown rice. Find a few sugar-free treats for the end of the day here and there. Plan, Plan, Plan. If you're going to be working long hours or running the kids all over the place, then you're going to need to be taking healthy foods with you and with them. Don't fail to plan. That's like a carpenter showing up to a construction site without his hard hat.
This next part is the part that most people dread. Exercise. Don't try to be a hero here, but do something. If you do nothing right now, maybe you need to commit to taking walks every day (even if it's a little damp or chilly). If you're doing a little bit of something, step it up!
If I were to ask most people in Frederick, Maryland if they're working toward living healthier, they'd have to say "No" if they were being honest. Don't be one of those people.
Of course, I'm biased toward the whole healthy eating, exercise thing, but I do know how hard it is. Being a personal trainer doesn't make me immune to the edible temptations out there or the exhausting days which make exercise less than appealing. But here's the thing, I'm also a mom, a wife, and a daughter. There are a lot of people who love me and want me to be around enjoying my life. I know that if I'm lazing my life away, then I'm stealing something precious from them-a healthy me! Most of us know someone who fights a daily battle with high blood pressure, diabetes, excess fatigue, depression, etc. I don't want to be that someone and I don't think that you do either. No doubt those who love us most don't want that for us either.
Do what you need to do. Do it now! If you don't want to do it alone, consider You're Worth It! Fitness Personal training. Either I or one of my other certified personal trainers anywhere in Frederick County, Maryland or Montgomery County, Maryland would be more than happy to help you on this journey! For more details, email me at ywifitness@gmail.com.

No comments: